The emotional toll of daily life in a pandemic has become another contributing factor in our fight against body and brain fatigue. Although adding massage to your self-care routine is always our first suggestion for recharging your spirit, we created The Calm Balm for those times when you need to relax and can’t get into The NOW. We wanted a soothing formula that could be used to treat tired muscles and help our bodies unwind from stress and static energy. . Below are some other tried and true remedies, featured in Spa and Beauty Today that we turn to when feeling overwhelmed and anxious including ways to incorporate the calm balm into a nightly wind down ritual.
- Start the day with a calming ritual. Brew a cup of soothing tea and take 5 minutes to Dry Brush before you shower. Dry Brushing can make a big difference in how your skin looks and feels. The NOW Copper Dry Brush generates neutralizing negative ions that are said to leave you peaceful, refreshed and recharged.
- Take breaks throughout the day to recharge and stretch. It’s important to rest your eyes every 20 minutes! Eyes need to focus at different distances from time to time and staring at screens for hours on end can be emotionally and physically draining. We also recommend applying a mask, like our Refresh Eye Mask while you work. The cooling sensation is a nice mid-day reset and the mask offers moisturizing benefits too. Don’t forget to stretch! Check out our IGTV for quick NOW You KNOW videos with great tips from our Massage Therapists on posture and desk stretches to help you get through the day as well.
- Breathwork is a great tool for a quick calming effect. Deep, focused breathing can help keep your mind and body in the present. Deep breaths actually work to stimulate your parasympathetic nervous system, which is the key to relaxation. Silver Lake Massage Therapist Taylor Hall recommends breathing through your nose in counts of four (inhaling for four counts, holding for four, and then exhaling for four) to keep your mind still and your body relaxed. Repeat the pattern for up to ten minutes taking breaks to notice how your body is responding. You can also use this technique when you’re feeling stressed or overwhelmed.
- We call our Nourish by The NOW Calm Balm our “massage in a bottle”. Antioxidant-fueled capsicum and refreshing peppermint are great for everything from muscle tension to migraines. Wind down anytime by simply applying the melt-into-your skin salve on tight shoulders, tired legs or your lower back. Keep it by your bedside for the perfect nightly ritual.
- Book a massage! There is scientific research that suggests planning an experience can help boost your mood, even more than impulse buys or purchasing items to feel better. Just knowing you are taking care of yourself and have set that time for relaxation in your future can help you feel instantly calmer and give you something to look forward to.