Better sleep, simplified
Whether you’ve heard the term sleep hygiene or not, you know sleep is important and you probably aren’t getting enough. Overwhelmed by your new year’s resolutions, or by the idea of even choosing one? Dedicating yourself to a bedtime routine might be the best place to start. With extensive studies showing the importance of sleep and our ability to be, well, normally functioning human beings, cleaning up your sleep act is a worthy recipient of your attention.
But you’re busy, we get it. Committing to 8 hours every night might not be immediately possible, so the next best thing is optimizing the sleep you are getting. No matter what time you get in bed, below are some simple changes and tweaks to your bedtime routine that will help your body transition to sleep mode and avoiding a frustrating night of restlessness.
- Turn Off Your Devices: Blue light is a wavelength of natural light that is strongest in the middle of the day and signals to our brains that it is time to be active (as compared to the warm red glow of sunrise and sunset). Digital devices strongly emit this light frequency, so shut your devices off an hour before bed, turn on “night shift” prior to that, or use blue light blocking glasses.
- Take a Moment for Gratitude: At The NOW, we consistently return to gratitude as the guide and anchor in our lives. A nightly gratitude list with three things we appreciate from the day is a great way to ease your mind and reflect on the day no matter the challenges you faced. What’s more, if you wake up in the middle of the night and remember something urgent, you have your notebook close at hand so you can write it down and return to sleep.
- Create a Ritual:
- Creating a bedtime ritual helps you shift gears – it doesn’t have to be much to make a big impact on your sleep quality.
- Make a cup of tea and hop into bed. Massage a little bit of our Peppermint CBD Balm in to the base of your neck and shoulders. This will help release tension and have a calming effect on your thoughts.
- Next, place The NOW Silk Herbal Wrap over your heart or eyes. Inhale five deep breaths – the energetically cleansing and aromatherapeutic benefits of lavender, chamomile and sage will travel straight to your scent receptors and ease your brain in to a restful state.
- Lastly, turn off the lights and enjoy a night of deep, sweet sleep.